12.9K views
Featured Not resolved

I'm a 64 year old male, fit and healthy, with no history of allergies. I purchased a standard size Mypillow and received it mid October, 2016.

It worked as advertised and I was initially happy with it. On Saturday morning, 11-19-16, that abruptly changed. Out of nowhere, I woke up with an incredible itchy, blotchy rash, pics attached. I went to immediate care and the MD told me I had a bad case of hives and to look at the new things in my life such as food, laundry detergent, etc.

The only thing I could point to was Mypillow. So, I put it away until early Monday morning. The hives stopped getting worse and seemed mitigate a bit because of the prednisone I was prescribed. Early Monday AM, I decided to do an experiment, resumed use and went back to sleep.

When I awoke, the hives were markedly worse and my lips and face became swollen. All told, it was a miserable experience that ruined my Thanksgiving break. Pinpointing the trigger for a histamine allergic reaction can be very tricky but when resuming use worsened the symptoms, that was enough for me. I discontinued use completely, completed my course of medication and in a week, the hives cleared.

I sent Mypillow back and await my refund. I'm not saying that if you try Mypillow you will get sick like I did. Clearly, if this problem was pervasive, they would be out of business.

But I did get sick and I am completely convinced, Mypillow was the cause. So I am doing what I regard as a public service and putting my experience out there for others to consider.

Product or Service Mentioned: Mypillow Standard Classic Pillow.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

I liked: It seemed to work as advertised.

I didn't like: It gave my a bad case of hives.

Comments

Maybe it was the Pizza he ate earlier. Who knows.

Your allergic to the foam rubber me too my face broke out I looked awful but I realized it could have only been the filling in the pillow I tried it again later to be sure and my face started burning middle of night all red again so that’s something people should look out for allergy to rubber foam cos that’s all the filling in those pillows is cut up pieces of foam etc.

I also got a rash on my eyelids and neck. I am going to change pillows for a couple of weeks to see if it disappears. When I am out of town , not sleeping in my bed, I do not have a problem.

This is a complete crop of BS. Honestly the rash is on this person's leg, and had she been allergic, she'd of broke out in hives all over his or her body, especially the face.

Why no pictures of any other part of the body?Hmmmm? Maybe you bought a knockoff as those are made, and clearly are a ripoff. Had you got the true product, I'm sure this would of never happened. But don't by through a third party supplier.Contact the actual company, because they stand behind their product, and so a 60 day money back guarantee, and if you can't return your product, you bought it from the wrong source.

Don't blame the company.Knockoffs exist everywhere and tend to use different fabric, and low quality material. Be careful what you buy, and who you buy it from.

to ben barr80 #1517988

Multiple reviews over a significant time span point to precisely the same medical problem (severe hives) as this individual. MyPillow advertises itself as 'hypoallergenic'. Clearly they are not.

StereotypedMantaRay

I'm having the same reaction

I had the same problem. Woke up with head feeling bruised and feeling like I had the flu and my ear was swollen.

Over the next 2 days that it took me to figure out the problem was the pillow making me sick, symptoms progressed. Once we figured out it was the pillow, we tried washing it, but that didn't make things better. In fact, the next morning was the worse. My right ear, side of my face, and eye were swollen and blotchy.

The flu like feeling was awful!

The pillow had to go and slowly, each day, the swelling has gone down. There's something about his particular foam because I have a memory foam mattress and have had other foam pillows without this type of reaction.

I seem to have an allergy to this pillow. I tried it, and woke up with sinuses clogged. Took it away and resume use of my regular pillow, no issue.Ron S

Wow, I love how comfortable the pillows are but I also seem to be having an allergic reaction similar to what many people have complained about. I have slept on memory foam pillows for years and have never had an allergic reaction like this from anything before.

Along with hives at back of neck and scalp there is also crazy under the skin itching on my ears. I'm very bummed that such comfortable pillows are having this effect on me. I've tried the premium one directly from the company and standard one from Bed Bath and Beyond.

Both have caused problems. Thank you for sharing your experiences.

I too am having bad allergic reaction to the MyPillow. I have hives on my neck, behind my ears, in my hair, and my forearms because I wrap my arms around pillow.

It took a week to figure out that it was from pillow. Very evil!My eyes are swollen too as I write this.

I bought MyPillows from QVC. I have chemical sensitivities.

I washed these pillows at least 6 times in hot water. During the night (when the pillow is warmed by body heat) the smell of chemicals would waft up into my nostrils. Too bad Mr.

Lindell doesn't source certified pure foam. I sent these pillows back for a refund.

Ive had issues also..no rash as of yet.but my scalp is itching like crazy..no bugs either btw lol. Didnt start till after i got the pillows..its all i can link it too thats changed in my daily life

I have 6. No probs.

Great pillows.

You must react badly to polyurethane foam. you broke out on your leg in pic.

My coworker had the exact same effects from the mypillow! Her lips, face are swollen and she is covered in hives.

DO NOT buy this pillow. Must be a toxic chemical in the materials!

Are you sure because to me those look very much like bed bug bites.

to Clearbluesky #1411752

I have the exact same symptoms with my pillow. Been to the doctor and Er.

It is an allergic reaction.

So unless you are a doctor and have examined him then you shouldn’t comment. And they look nothing like bed bug bites.

to Clearbluesky #1415626

Bed bug bites look completely different, they are spaced in a line path, usually 3 or 4 circular red splotches in a line, spaced 2 to 4 inches apart. Very distinctive marks.

Experiencing the same thing on my arms which I wrap my arms around when sleeping. Horrible immediately stopped using.

My doctor actually came to the conclusion that he thought it was from my pillow because of the way the hives were on my arms. He didn't know I had just bought this new pillow.

Leoti, Kansas, United States #1306388

I have had a mypillow for a yr and no problem, did you wash it before use, if you didn't it could have been a reaction to something used in the manufacture of it, if not you might becareful, with many things as not a lot to my pillow besides the foam and fabric. my suggestion would have been before you sent it back, to wash it first, because you could have picked up something and transferred it to the pillow unknowingly, then when ever you slept om it transferred it back to yourself, causing the problems.

Sbeaston
Dallas, Texas, United States #1267464

That looks like case of shingles!