10.4K views
Featured Not resolved

I'm a 64 year old male, fit and healthy, with no history of allergies.I purchased a standard size Mypillow and received it mid October, 2016.

It worked as advertised and I was initially happy with it. On Saturday morning, 11-19-16, that abruptly changed. Out of nowhere, I woke up with an incredible itchy, blotchy rash, pics attached. I went to immediate care and the MD told me I had a bad case of hives and to look at the new things in my life such as food, laundry detergent, etc.

The only thing I could point to was Mypillow. So, I put it away until early Monday morning. The hives stopped getting worse and seemed mitigate a bit because of the prednisone I was prescribed. Early Monday AM, I decided to do an experiment, resumed use and went back to sleep.

When I awoke, the hives were markedly worse and my lips and face became swollen. All told, it was a miserable experience that ruined my Thanksgiving break. Pinpointing the trigger for a histamine allergic reaction can be very tricky but when resuming use worsened the symptoms, that was enough for me. I discontinued use completely, completed my course of medication and in a week, the hives cleared.

I sent Mypillow back and await my refund. I'm not saying that if you try Mypillow you will get sick like I did. Clearly, if this problem was pervasive, they would be out of business.

But I did get sick and I am completely convinced, Mypillow was the cause.So I am doing what I regard as a public service and putting my experience out there for others to consider.

This person wrote the review because of bad quality of mypillow standard classic pillow from Mypillow and attached photo s. Reviewer claimed that he or she wants Mypillow to read this review and look into the issue (if any).

The most disappointing in user's experience was it gave my a bad case of hives. Author liked the most it seemed to work as advertised. If you have a chance, please immediately contact him/ her to briefly discuss his/ her negative experience with the company.

Comments

StereotypedMantaRay

I'm having the same reaction

I had the same problem.Woke up with head feeling bruised and feeling like I had the flu and my ear was swollen.

Over the next 2 days that it took me to figure out the problem was the pillow making me sick, symptoms progressed. Once we figured out it was the pillow, we tried washing it, but that didn't make things better. In fact, the next morning was the worse. My right ear, side of my face, and eye were swollen and blotchy.

The flu like feeling was awful!

The pillow had to go and slowly, each day, the swelling has gone down.There's something about his particular foam because I have a memory foam mattress and have had other foam pillows without this type of reaction.

I seem to have an allergy to this pillow. I tried it, and woke up with sinuses clogged. Took it away and resume use of my regular pillow, no issue.Ron S

Wow, I love how comfortable the pillows are but I also seem to be having an allergic reaction similar to what many people have complained about.I have slept on memory foam pillows for years and have never had an allergic reaction like this from anything before.

Along with hives at back of neck and scalp there is also crazy under the skin itching on my ears. I'm very bummed that such comfortable pillows are having this effect on me. I've tried the premium one directly from the company and standard one from Bed Bath and Beyond.

Both have caused problems.Thank you for sharing your experiences.

I too am having bad allergic reaction to the MyPillow.I have hives on my neck, behind my ears, in my hair, and my forearms because I wrap my arms around pillow.

It took a week to figure out that it was from pillow.Very evil!My eyes are swollen too as I write this.

I bought MyPillows from QVC.I have chemical sensitivities.

I washed these pillows at least 6 times in hot water. During the night (when the pillow is warmed by body heat) the smell of chemicals would waft up into my nostrils. Too bad Mr.

Lindell doesn't source certified pure foam.I sent these pillows back for a refund.

Ive had issues also..no rash as of yet.but my scalp is itching like crazy..no bugs either btw lol. Didnt start till after i got the pillows..its all i can link it too thats changed in my daily life

I have 6.No probs.

Great pillows.

You must react badly to polyurethane foam.you broke out on your leg in pic.

My coworker had the exact same effects from the mypillow! Her lips, face are swollen and she is covered in hives.

DO NOT buy this pillow. Must be a toxic chemical in the materials!

Are you sure because to me those look very much like bed bug bites.

to Clearbluesky #1411752

I have the exact same symptoms with my pillow.Been to the doctor and Er.

It is an allergic reaction.

So unless you are a doctor and have examined him then you shouldn’t comment.And they look nothing like bed bug bites.

to Clearbluesky #1415626

Bed bug bites look completely different, they are spaced in a line path, usually 3 or 4 circular red splotches in a line, spaced 2 to 4 inches apart. Very distinctive marks.

Experiencing the same thing on my arms which I wrap my arms around when sleeping.Horrible immediately stopped using.

My doctor actually came to the conclusion that he thought it was from my pillow because of the way the hives were on my arms.He didn't know I had just bought this new pillow.

Leoti, Kansas, United States #1306388

I have had a mypillow for a yr and no problem, did you wash it before use, if you didn't it could have been a reaction to something used in the manufacture of it, if not you might becareful, with many things as not a lot to my pillow besides the foam and fabric. my suggestion would have been before you sent it back, to wash it first, because you could have picked up something and transferred it to the pillow unknowingly, then when ever you slept om it transferred it back to yourself, causing the problems.

Sbeaston
Dallas, Texas, United States #1267464

That looks like case of shingles!

to Sbeaston #1331820

I have to agree as a nurse it does appear to be shingles on the man who claims the rash was caused by my pillow

to Laurel adams #1411859

You’re dumb

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States #1257285

why would you perform your experiment before thanksgiving then be mad when you were messed up during thanksgiving

Irving, Texas, United States #1251596

We await your next review of MyPillow when you complain about having no pillow and no refund check.

Sedalia, Missouri, United States #1250416

the rash was on your leg. Exactly where did you put that pillow?